Monday, July 19, 2010

Devos Whaa?

Relationships.

Why do relationships seem to be so hard all of the time?  Not just romantic relationships (Which is hard! Such a noob to this dating thing.) but relationships with our families, our friends, co-workers, classmates.  The list goes on and on.  We as people tend to fail at them. Well at least I do so I'm assuming others do too.

Growing up I kind of failed at relationships, or friendships. I had 2 friends growing up with whom I spent all my time. Then they moved when I was 8. After that I had short, shallow friendships, but mostly I enjoyed sticking to myself.  Middle school proved to be very difficult, and I found myself more alone then ever.  High school freshman year was hard but I was beginning to come out of my shell.  By my junior year I had 3 amazing lady friends who have been closer than any other friends before! Now I have a few close friends (and you know who you are my homies) whom I love dearly! And a bunch of people who are pretty much my family. Shout out to the LW and 4square peeps. ...okay done trying to be G...

As I look back on the increase of my ability to make real relationships with people I realize there's a strong, defining element that affected ALL of my relationships.  My personal relationship with Christ.  Specifically through my daily devos (or devotions. 'Devos' just sounds more "cool".)

Relationships take constant work.  Notice that it takes hanging out with someone at least once a week to really develop a strong, resounding connection? But even once a week isn't really enough.  The Fantastic Four (Britt D, Megan H, Liz V and myself) met almost everyday in school or after school. We were constantly in communication and relation with each other.  You probably see or talk or chat via Facebook or text your best friends almost every day? Am I right? The moment you stop constant communication you start feeling out of touch.  The same is with the G-Man.

Daily relationship with God is a must.  If you want to grow, if you want confidence in your relationships with others, you
have to have relationship with God first! His relationship with us is the ultimate model of love.  If we can understand just a glimpse of His love for us, then we can return that love onto others. Which will in turn strengthen all of our relationships.  I have not only witnessed this amongst friends and mentors but I've experienced it myself.
1 John 4:19 
19 We love each other because he loved us first. (NLT)  

I challenge you to a 30 day read with me.  Pick up your Bible and read every day for 30 days.  Doesn't have to be a billion chapters, just a couple verses even.  I dare you to see the change in your relationships with others as you strengthen your relationship with God.
As devos became a constant in my life my relationship with my brother was healed in amazing ways, my relationships with others became stronger, and my ability to love through anything became rock solid. 

Doing daily devos isn't going to solve all your relationship problems, but I promise it will influence every aspect of your life: including those you love most.  Getting close to God changes our perspective and enables us to love more freely and openly in a way that only through Christ is possible. 

So deepen your relationship with Christ.  Talk to Him every day.  Learn from Him every morning.  Watch as your relationship with Jesus grows your relationships with people will too.

So!! If you plan on reading the Bible every day for 30 days please comment and let me know! I'm going to put my devos up here every day starting tomorrow and I'd love to see what God's showing you too!!
Psalm 42:1-2 1 As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God. 2 I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him? (NLT)

3 comments:

  1. YEAH girl! :D
    I love this.
    I love your mind.
    I love your thoughts.
    I love your wisdom.
    Annnddd
    I love you ;)

    I'm down for this devo challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am down down down down down!!! : )

    ReplyDelete