Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Share My Song

Over the past month my music writing has increased dramatically.  I normally spend an hour every day or every other day playing and writing.  While most of what I produce isn't the greatest, some of the songs are pretty good.  It's been insane, the way God has been pushing me to grow musically.  He's placed some very specific, and sometimes very random, people in my life to encourage and challenge me.

Rewind to the summer of my freshman year: white water rafting trip with Megan Hall. I didn't know her very well, but for some reason I decided I would go on this crazy adventure with her.  While I don't remember much of what happened, what I do remember was a conversation we had on the beach.  We began sharing our dreams with each other.  She felt called to be a missionary, to go to Africa.  I remember her saying, "But I'm not sure that will really happen." I, on the other hand, wanted to produce music more than anything! Wanted to lead worship for thousands of people. But I remember saying, "It's just a dream, I doubt it could ever happen.". 


Fast forward six years to present day.  Megan's in Uganda!!! And I'm slowly recording the music I've written!   While she's not quite what most people would consider a full-grown "missionary", she's in Africa! She's building a love and passion for the Ugandan people (Check out
her blog).  She's taking the steps to be what God has called her to be. While I'm not exactly an artist who gets paid for her music, I'm recording and people are beginning to listen. Megan and I are stepping into our very own dreams! And it's so exciting.

God has placed hopes dreams in every one of our hearts.  And He wants us to accomplish them!!

Psalm 20:4-5
 

Psalm 37:4 
 4 Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart’s desires. (NLT)

Fight for your dreams! Don't give up on them.  People are going to shoot your dreams down. They're going to say, "No.", "You're not good enough.", "Give up.".  
Your deepest hopes are there because He has placed them.  He has created each of us for a purpose and a calling.

But maybe you're saying, "I'm definitely not reaching my dreams. God's not giving them to me.".  I ask you this question, is your heart beating to the rhythm of His heart? When we read Psalm 37:4 we often stop there, we don't read the next verse:


Psalm 37:5 
5 Commit everything you do to the Lord.Trust him, and he will help you. (NLT)

Commit to His way.  Your dreams will fall into place after that.  If not, perhaps the dreams you have now are not the ones He has planned for you.  Check your heart, search out His, He'll give you direction and a new dream better than anything else you could have imagined.

While I'm so excited in how my music "career" is starting, the moment I quit making Jesus my #1 I know things are going to fail.  He's the one who's blessed me with my gifts, given me my songs, and put that dream in my heart in the first place.  




**Click Here to Check Out My Music Website**

Jeremiah 29:11-13 
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment