Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sticks and Stones and Tweets.



"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me."

...Biggest load of crap I have ever heard in my life.

We all know how much words can hurt.  We've all experienced those words thrown at you on the playground that forever shape how you act and what you think of yourself.  "You're stupid.", "I hate you.", "Why do you have a fat stomach?", "I hate having her on my team!", "He sucks." Those words scar and mangle the receivers until their value of themselves are completely lost.  And while my time on the playground has been long over (Okay...not true. There's a playground by my apartment that I swing at every so once in a while!...but I mean now that I'm older.), I'm finding words that cut and pierce have shifted from face-to-face interactions to passive aggression: through the internet and texting.  Tools such as Facebook, Myspace, Twitter have seemed to open a new doorway to shattering confidence.  Perhaps in an even more painful way.

I have not had anyone insult me to my face in a very long time. I have not seen people insult each other in person in a very long time. What I do see are blogs, Facebook statuses, and tweets filled with anger, hurt, frustration, and carelessly typed words.  While there may be the excuses, "Well, I'm being real." or "They don't know who I'm talking about." the person for who those words were intended (secretly or not) often still understand it's about them. And it still hurts the same.

The Bible is very clear on how we should guard our tongues and control them. 
Take a look at James 3!!
Ephesians 4:31 31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. (NLT)

Titus 3:2 2 They [believers] must not slander anyone and must avoid quarreling. Instead, they should be gentle and show true humility to everyone. (NLT) 

As Christ followers, we are called to a higher standard.  Our words should never be used to manipulate, hurt, or tear down the people around us.  Instead we are to build each other up. To encourage and love people with our words. 


Ephesians 4:29 
29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen


Personally, there are times when I want to update my Facebook status with phrases that I know will hurt others...on purpose.  Phrases along the lines of, "
why do I Justify/What you did wrong/to me" or "I swear I didn't mean/For it to feel like this/Like every inch of me is bruised, bruised" or "I hate everything about you" (All lyrics from songs. Not my own thoughts).  Sometimes I want to hurt people back because I hurt too, but God has called me to live above that.

Next time you're thinking of tweeting emo song lyrics, "You ruined my life" quotes, "I hate her/him", or anything that could cause someone to hurt or think negatively about themselves, stop! It hurts me to see so many young people tearing each other down via the internet. Just because you're not saying it to their face doesn't mean it doesn't work the same way.  Live a higher standard. Live for Christ.

James 3:9-10 9 Sometimes it [the tongue] praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. 10 And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right! (NLT)

2 comments: